Sunny North Carolina in October 2010

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cake Tasting

I'll admit it. Here is my problem.

I "buy" vendors instead of the product.

I have always been this way.

In 8th grade I wanted a new bike, so I started to save my money. I only saved about $30 or so when there appeared an add in the "Classified's" section of the news paper that someone was selling a 10 speed bicycle. So, we drove to see it, and "test" drive the bike. It was red. Old. Curved handle bars. Nothing classy. Nothing fancy. But, the man who was selling it was really nice. And instead of saving money for the bike I wanted, I bought the red beast. And never rode it much.

Fast forward to Senior year of high school. College search. My family and I walked into a college fair and stopped to talk to the first booth inside the door. Walsh University. It wasn't what I was looking for - not that I knew that then. But, he sold me. We visited. Mom liked it. I was really close to attending a school I didn't care for much. Thank goodness Bluffton waltzed into my life.

Same thing with the car. I bought a car sales man. Not my "Fergie". But, I do love her. And she is the best car ever.

So, we tasted cakes on Monday evening. Drove to Jean's house in a quaint block of Decatur and looked at many magazines and pictures of cakes from 1985. (Which was when Jean started to bake cakes...25 years ago) She was so sweet. Very accommodating. Made samples for us. For a hot minute I had convinced myself that it was ok if my cake looked like it was from 1987. I mean, it was a good year. AHB was actually born that year, so that could be a good thing...

In the car on the way home, we decided that Jean could grasp the type of cake we wanted if we gave her a picture to go off of. She was super sweet. Old. Adorable. Possible suffered from arthritis... Totally my weak spot...

When we had practically decided that she was a "Go" we got back to AHB's apartment where I left my notebook. It was at this moment that I realized I had made a huge mistake. Jean, Betty, and Lana were all cake lady options. After contacting them, we eliminated the most expensive option. Jean. I had called the WRONG ONE. UGH. Whattttt??

Well Jean. Thank you for making our decision easy. Your icing was lovely. Your cake was a bit dry. But, I think we will have to go with other people.

Word to the wise: Always take your wedding binder everywhere.


"AHB, would you like to add anything?"

"Ummm, yes."

"About cake?"

"Yes...that shredded chicken is gonna be damn good. And I make the best BBQ sauce in Macon County."

....

We have a meeting with Betty on Tuesday at 6. Here's hoping the cakes are a bit more...modern? :o)

mmp

No comments:

Post a Comment