Sunny North Carolina in October 2010

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Real Life

I've always loved going to stay with my college roommate and her family. Her house has been conveniently located on my route from Illinois to Ohio, and it has always been an easy stop to stay with her a night or to just swing by for a visit on my way to and from. Her house has always been a "break from college life" that I think I continue to live. The "non stop, go go go evenings, late night programming, First Week, Graduation, student conduct, move in day" kind of life I live. When I go to her house we grocery shop on Saturdays, run an errand to Menards to purchase gutter protectors, play with Baby Girl, etc. It is established. It is every day America. It is SO drastically different from what my day to day is. I love it. In fact, I have envied it for a few years.

There is just something good about being in a home. Not that I don't consider my apartment Home, it's just good to be in a place that has two people building, dreaming, experiencing a life that they are building together. So, yes, I have envied the normalcy of the life of a 28 year old. :)

I think. But then I would come back to my slice of "real life" and be in love with it. I guarantee I am the luckiest person, with the best job I know. My home has 76 people who are building, dreaming, experiencing a life that they are building together. And I am a piece of that.

But right now I am in a 7 month transition. AHB and I are working to figure out what it means to combine our lives into a 2 bedroom apartment. We haven't even talked about what will get hung on what wall.

"Should we continue to hang your 'Breakfast Club' frame in the bedroom, or is that more of a "spare bedroom" kinda thing..."

"And what exactly do we do with that little gnome picture thing...."

BUT - we did pick out paint. Or, we grabbed a lot of things we might like, and labeled them with certain rooms in mind. Nothing too drastic, but nothing bland either. Paint. Paint is semi-permanent. And a slice of normal.

Outside of the wedding...I am almost more excited to build an apartment. To combine things into a good workable space. It's almost perfect.

mmp

No comments:

Post a Comment