Sunny North Carolina in October 2010

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Nothing says "I love you" like Liver.

Happy Birthday to my wonderful AHB!

Last night we celebrated another Year with a lovely meal, gifts, and an hour sitting in the garage trying to install one of the said gifts. It was a really great evening but it got me thinking...

It's funny how love shapes us.

I made liver for the second time in 4 months last night.
Things I have learned about liver in the last 4 months:
1.) It is a really slimy meat (well, it is an organ, maybe that is why it's slimy)
2.) The smell is only enhanced once it is cooked.
3.) It's pretty fragile - and if you don't get it in one piece...good luck.
4.) It will boost your iron levels immensely.
5.) My fiance loves it. Truly.

I am convinced that my grandmother has some how taken on the form of AHB through the somewhat "unusual/adventurous" things he likes to eat. Grandma loved liver, gizzards, and other things slimy that somehow fall into this category. Sometimes I think I am blessed to be cooking this food for the rest of my life because I used to be so grossed out by it when grandma used to eat it. :)

So, you have to watch this video. This is the first thing I watched when wanting to learn to cook liver. This woman is a riot. And loves her liver. Ha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlnKjr5kYdA&feature=related

Happy Birthday Liver. And, even though it isn't my meal of choice I would like to quote Julie Powell from "Julie and Julia" - about liver being one of the most sexiest things you can feed someone...watch this clip from minute 4:03 - 5:45.
http://www.theawl.com/2010/02/cooking-the-books-julie-powell-makes-valentines-day-liver

Not sure I would say liver was sexy. But, it is wonderful to know he enjoys it so much.

A few "thank yous": AHB.
1.) Thank you for letting me broadcast your quiet life on this Blog.
2.) Thank you for falling in love with an older woman. (Me)


mmp

No comments:

Post a Comment