Sunny North Carolina in October 2010

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

ISTJ and the Untidy One

"Ok, what do you think I am?"

"ISTJ"

"Yep. You know me."

We attended our first Marriage Counseling last night. Not required by my church...well, maybe it is...but really it is a chance for Pastor Mike to get to know AHB better so he can customize our ceremony to our personalities. Annnnd, I suppose it is just as much for us to continue to think about some of the issues we might not consider initially about marriage and this next transition. :) Ha. 


Even though we only started to describe how we met and all that jazz, it was good to tell someone the story of us. (Even though in the back of my head I kept thinking..."maybe he'll tell us we shouldn't get married.")

When asking AHB if he was nervous as we walked up to the church he said "No."


"But what if he tells us we shouldn't get married?"


"Then we will take our services elsewhere." 

"We don't have services to provide. We NEED their services."



But, he isn't going to tell us we shouldn't get married. Because, I kept thinking about the phrase "It's your wedding." When Mike handed us the sample ceremony to look over it had many options for readings, vows, order of service, prayers, etc. At one point I asked if we could alter a part of the form and he said, "Sure, it's your wedding."  And it just got real. 

It's OUR wedding. How do we continue to plan to make this something completely reflective of us? In the end, we make the final decisions. Hoping that every piece of the ceremony and reception feels like AHB and I.  What a lovely thing to consider.

The question of the day that I ponder: What does a life look like that is completely us? 



mmp

No comments:

Post a Comment