Sunny North Carolina in October 2010

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Til' Cake Pan Do Us Part

No one tells you what it is like to combine 2 apartments. Well, I guess that isn't exactly true. I read this article once when David Arquette and Courtney Cox married and they talked about the "challenges" of combining two VERY different apartments to make the new place feel like the both of them. Without losing the identity of one or the other.

I have to admit, I really thought this would be a problem for AHB and I too. He has all the furniture. Living in a fully furnished residence hall apartment for 7 years really hasn't prepared me for moving off campus one day. So, I own nothing.

Strike that. Re-do.

I own every kitchen appliance you can imagine. You name it, I most likely have it. Every cake pan, every decorting tool, even the little corn-on-the-cob holder guys. (ask me how many times I have used them...) But, things of substance? No. Not really. So, I worried that I would be lost in an apartment of AHB, and the MMP wouldn't be found anywhere.

But, to my GREAT shock, I came back from a long weekend to find a lovely-homey-put-together-two-bedroom-apartment that felt like "us". Minus the fact that none of the items in said apartment were actually mine. Maybe it was the new space. Maybe it was the colors we spent hours painting on the walls. Maybe it was the comment that first greeted me moments before stepping foot into our new home, "Now, if you don't like something, we will move it."

So AHB and the "moving crew" made the transition last weekend into the new space. And it is MAGNIFICENT. I was unfortunately gone but came back to bliss. Then Tuesday hit, and I had to start packing. 'Start' being the key word. And that sucks. Moving really sucks. Boxes, and purging, and realizing you aren't purging enough and you and your fiance will have to have another go at it once you realize without hope that nothing fits in the new kitchen. Yes, purging still needs to happen.

So, I've parted with a few things (Anna and Katie will be happy to inherit) and I've tried to keep a few things. AHB asked to help, but I made him promise not to panic when he came over. And it was a really great moment when he picked up two very similar bake and fill cake pans and tried to rationalize why I didn't need both. And he was right. And the hilarious moment when we were taking my boxes to our cars (including a tent, a kitchen-aid mixer, and 2 half finished craft projects) AHB looks at me and said, "Pip, you sure fit a lot in that apartment."
So, we are in the process of finding a spot for everything...only to go back thought eventually when we are tired of battling the towering dishes every night just to get the one on the bottom of the pile.

And more of my things are starting to integrate themselves into the vibe of the current things. And it was a huge triumph when AHB announced he had cleaned out 5 drawers for me to have for my clothing. I like it here. I think he does too.

Updates:
1.) Engagement photos this weekend.
2.) Cake lady (Betty) is booked.
3.) I am signing the catering contract this weekend and shipping it out.
4.) I have a gown.

Things are practically around the corner.
I will upload pictures of the new digs once I get them onto the computer from my camera. I'll just keep you in suspense for now.

mmp

No comments:

Post a Comment