Sunny North Carolina in October 2010

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

'Twas the Night before Christmas

There have been many people who have asked why we are getting married in Decatur, IL. Well, there are many reasons actually.

Decatur is where our home is, and where it might be for a long time. (Not to limit us in any way...but we really love it here.) It's where we met, it's where we work, and there is a lot of opportunity. I always envisioned getting married in my church where I was raised. It's where my grandparents and parents were married, it's lovely, and I can still remember running through the halls as a child simply in love with being there. But over the years my home congregation has made some decisions that not only make themselves less welcoming, but also limit love. And, from that moment, I knew I could never celebrate the commitment that marriage stands for in a place that limits love.

I should also say that it was meant to be when I walked into First Lutheran Church in Decatur. There is no better feeling than to feel like you have found something you have been searching for...possibly for a very long time. I once called my mom and said that I knew I was in Decatur to be a part of this church...if nothing else.

So, when we made the decision to be here, I knew that it would be hard to transplant the feeling of "home" to a hotel in Decatur when trying to get ready for the ceremony. I didn't want to get ready in a hotel, and our apartment isn't large enough for everyone to be honest. Mom was thrilled when I called and mentioned that I had reserved a local historic bed and breakfast for our family to stay in before the wedding. We could all congregate there and get ready. We can all stay in the same "house" before the wedding.

And the most important part: my sisters and I can sleep in the same bed the night before. We do this every Christmas eve. (I think Katie even asked me where AHB was going to sleep when we spend Christmas with my family...) Anna and Katie and I have been doing this for as long as I can remember. We are all fully grown women. Anna is still in the middle. She still moved a lot. Katie really gets pressed between Anna and the radiator. Katie is always the first to wake up, and might still race down stairs if it wasn't for Anna pleading to sleep longer. I sleep. Hard. Rarely moving. The beauty of being a deep sleeper! And there we are: Crammed into a full size bed on Christmas eve....and it will continue to happen. :)

And the night before my wedding, we will be in a (queen sized!!) bed at the Younker House anticipating the next day with excitement just as if it was Christmas. When I made the reservation and told the woman that we would only need one room for the 3 of us, she was highly questionable on the phone. But, I assured her we would be fine.

And it's funny, because my parents came to visit this past weekend, and the days leading up to their arrival was like waiting for Christmas. (Sans the sisters in bed!) I was so excited. We had a great visit.

mmp

2 comments:

  1. I have an idea. Maybe Alex, Seth and Lee could try and sleep in the same bed the night before the wedding. I think we could sell tickets for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Queen bed? Hell yeah! We are going to have so much room!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete