Sunny North Carolina in October 2010

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My fiance, the ecologist

I am starting to fear bridal shower games.

Now, I need to mention, that I really love games. In fact, a larger part of my job over the past 7 years has been adapting "get to know you activities" into "Ice breaker games" for the students I supervise and work with. So, I have always had a good attitude about these games. Someone needs to like them...

But, lately I am having nightmares about embarassing bridal shower games. You know, the ones where your faimly tries to test your knowledge about your furure husband. Quizzing about every detail so you can mess up, look foolish, and inevitably have to shove another piece of pink bubble gum in your mouth. I don't care much for pink bubble gum...

And here is the reason for my fear:

As we were walking tonight - and we don't do this every night, but we did tonight (it's as if we know summer is coming to an end, and so is some of our free time) - AHB starts to announce the different trees we are passing.

"Oh, look at that ginko tree."
"This one is a red bud."
"Oak."
"White Maple."

Puzzled at the traveling science lesson, I asked how Captain Boy Scout knew so much about trees all of the sudden.

"Oh, this isn't unusual. I was in the ecology club."

(One piece of bubble gum)

"You were? What does one do in the ecology club."

"Well, you needed to know your trees, so I had to memorize based off of leaf and bark..."

(two pieces of bubble gum)

"You had to take the bark of the tree and reference it to this book so you could figure out the leaf, even if you knew the bark...."

(three pieces of bubble gum)

And as he talked about trees and leaves, and which was a red bud (and there were a lot of red buds...) I couldn't help but smile at my Quiz Team, Student Council President, FCCLA president and district representative, musically inclined, ecologist-fiance.

If we have a red bud problem, I know who to call.

And I think I fell in love with him a little bit more. If that was possible.

mmp

1 comment:

  1. Molly, Alex was also in the Scholastic Bowls. Now those meets were real nail biters, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Love, Kel

    ReplyDelete