Sunny North Carolina in October 2010

Monday, October 24, 2011

Little Man

This is "Little Man". (Also pictured is "Little Girl") They are TINY. Maybe a few centimeters.



This little guy lives in my pajama pant pocket. The right one. He has been there for a few months now. For no particular reason except he kept falling out of this little bag he came in, and one day I picked him up and put him in my pocket and there he has stayed. He came as a part of this little gift from my boss after AHB and I got engaged. I think it is a game you play with your bridesmaids at a shower or sometime before the wedding. You place these little people in a cake, and it has similar qualities of a Mardi Gras King Cake. Anyhow, "Little Man" is a metal groom who lives in my pocket.

I realize this is bizarre.

Moving on....

AHB and I are getting married. Really soon. I have such a flood of emotions running around in my head that I can't type enough to keep up. I feel like every last minute is planned and organized by whom we need to meet with, what check we need to write, or what we still need to create. And we have to work at our professional jobs, too. ;o)

Yesterday we celebrated the fact that it was still 70 degrees in late October, and we headed to the Great Pumpkin Patch with friends. We explored quite a bit.

We bought a few mums for the front window of our apartment, and in the process of putting the mums in, we had to get rid of the flowers we planted as we moved in. And, then I got to thinking about how fast time has flown since we planted these flowers.


This was when we first moved in early June. We were still 5 months away from the wedding, and we didn't even know if these plants would take in this crappy soil that had gone untouched for a very long time. (Who plans flowers in a university owned apartment complex!?)


And although it looks over grown, look how big these plants are! They were much prettier when they were all in bloom. :)
Amazing what 5 months can do.

Rewind to last night.
We pack up to go to bed, and I turn the lights off and reach into my right pocket. No Little Man. This has happened before. Sometimes, as one would imagine, the little metal groom gets lost in the change of pants process.

Me: "Little Man" is gone.
AHB: "Oh, God. Well, you need to take better care of him."
Me: "I know. But he likes it in my pocket."
AHB: "You know this is going to keep happening."

This morning "Little Man" is not on the floor of the bathroom, nor does he catch my eye anywhere else.

Me: "Did you find "Little Man?"
AHB: "No."

Tonight I came home, and am feeling so excited and full of joy. I give AHB a huge hug, and as he is folding laundry I get ready to make dinner. I put on my pajama pants, and realize "Little Man" is still missing.

Me: "Have you seen Little Man?"
AHB: "No, you have to take better care of him."
Me: "He's got to be here somewhere."
AHB: "He isn't in the bathroom. I don't know why you keep him in your pocket."
Me: "He's a groom, and I am keeping him safe."

AHB came over to help me reach a roasting dish for dinner off the top shelf, and when I went to pick it up I looked down and there was "Little Man" on the kitchen counter.

Me: "You DID find him! You ALWAYS find him!"
AHB: "Because I picked up your blanket you were covered with on the couch last night, (That you didn't pick up) and he was buried under it almost getting lost in the couch."
Me: "I knew you would find him."

And it was that moment that I realized the last 5 months weren't just good for the plants. They have been great for my soul. (And his)

I looked at that man (the one I am going to marry, not the little metal one) and thought that these are easily some of the happiest moments of my life. Even if I am not always making his life easier, I mean, for goodness sakes - I give him twice as much to clean up after! I know we are so happy together.

Me: "Right, AHB?" (I yell from the other room...)
AHB: "What?"
Me: "Isn't that right?"
AHB: "I just can't agree to that."

;o)
mmp

PS: I gave "Little Girl" to AHB tonight and told him to keep her in his pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment